Expectant Prayers ®

Jennifer Jo Weiss

Family Circus

Grandma Shipps likes to compare our family to the "Family Circus" comics.  Frankly, this past week, I'd have to agree with her.  It's been super busy here... not to mention I'm trying to recover from surgery.    No matter how busy it gets around here, it's always fun and we laugh a lot.  Hey, as Grandma Rule says, "You have to have a sense of humor about these sort of things!"

So, to pick up where I left off last week, Thursday was Shad's first visit with the pediatrician.  He was still slightly jaundice, so had to get a heel stick to test his belirubin level.  It came back in the acceptable range and the doctor just told us to get him exposed to more sunlight.    That same day, his umbilical cord stump fell off.  That's another first for us at 8 days old!  Most of the kids were more like 11-14 days.  It's hard to tell if the belly button will be an "in" or an "out" at this point... but it's just so cute!  

Daddy holding Shad at the Pediatrician's Office

In the evening, the older kids were escorted by Daddy and Grandpa Weiss to their first ever Ringling Brothers, Barnum & Bailey Circus.  (See, now I really am tying in the circus!)


On Friday, I had a checkup at my doctor's.  He had to go out of town the day after my delivery and he wanted me to come in just so he could see my incision, etc.  Everything was fine, but he is the main reason I decided to slow down my pace a bit.  I really got the "lecture" about taking it easy and making it a priority to heal.  After all, I do have 6 kids now that are going to need a well mommy!   So, I promised to take his advise and do my best to rest!   I've forced myself to take it easy... and most difficult of all...  I've avoided the computer because I have to travel downstairs to get to it.  I don't know how many times this past week I've said, "I really wish I had a laptop!"   Well, that's beside the point, but it sure would have helped especially with the stairs issue.  Anyone who's had a C will tell you that stairs are a "no-no". 

One thing worth mentioning is that while Pete and I were in the exam room waiting for the doctor, Shad got a huge smile on his face and laughed!  We've never had a 9 day old laugh before!  Another unexpected first!

Saturday was spent catching up with household chores and Pete decided to shampoo the carpets all over the house.  They look a lot better now!  Saturday was also the day that we started making our own meals again.  Luckily, we had plenty of leftovers from the week, so it wasn't too bad.   Celeste went to a birthday party with Grandma Weiss in the afternoon for her friend, Makalyn.   I would have gone, too if I were able!

Sunday, we dedicated the baby.  I think I was a bit crazy to attempt it so quickly after a C-Section, but true to Weiss fashion, I wanted Shad dedicated on Grandparent's Day.  I think most of the kids were dedicated on Grandparent's Day.   Unfortunately, we didn't get any pictures of the dedication because right before we went into the sanctuary, the batteries on the camera died.  Celeste snapped a shot of me holding Shad and the two little boys while we were still out in the foyer.

Monday, the family went to get groceries, but I stayed home with the baby.  That's quite a feat, especially without me!  They did a pretty good job and didn't add too many extras.

Yesterday (9/11) was Levi's 6th birthday.  We had a birthday party in the evening for him.   We also watched a lot of the 9/11 tributes on TV.   He got a lot of toys that he wanted and had a great time.


As of today, Shad is two weeks old!  I can hardly believe it myself that two weeks have flown by. 

That's all for now friends... I'm headed back upstairs to rest.   Keep checking in.  I may not get to my journal every day, but I will get to it as often as I can.  Blessings!

Congratulations to the Reber family who delivered baby Caleb this morning at 9:45am. 
He weighed a healthy 9 lbs. 1 oz. and was 20 inches long.

Go Back